Monday 14 March 2016

INDOCTRINATED IN A CULT CALLED SCIENCE

'Now the mirror lizard’s breath got the clones scared cuz / Woo, use your, use your common sense'

I’m a middle aged white English man. That’s my confession. As such, my interest in hip hop is fairly intermittent, and limited to a few tried and tested artists. I dabble, I dip, and am aware that there is a whole world of music out there that I haven’t got the time to scratch the surface of.

B.o.B is an artist that I hadn’t heard of before reading about him in The Fortean Times, not exactly the go to magazine for black urban music updates. BoB is convinced that the Earth is flat, and can get quite angry about it. This strongly held belief is the basis for his track ‘Flatline’, which is presented below. BoB is particularly annoyed with astrophysicist Neil DeGrasse Tyson, who he suggests should ‘loosen up his vest’, i.e. put aside everything he has ever learned and believed in.


The Internet, which seemingly promises so much in terms of Truth, is, of course, a breeding ground for Lies, particularly those backed up by half-baked theory and misinformation. A few years ago, I would have cared passionately about this, now I just let it go. The Internet once held the promise of making everyone knowledgeable and educated, which had the potential of cramping my style; I’m slightly relieved to realise that it mainly makes morons. I’m not suggesting that B.o.B falls under the category, by the way, he’s a young man with a long way to go, but he probably needs to broaden his browsing and stop smoking so much weed*.

* His admission, not my assumption.       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.