SLEEPAWAY CAMP, d. Robert Hiltzik (USA, 1983)
After a speedboat accident that kills her father, teenage Angela remains withdrawn and mute. Given her obvious trauma, sending her to a summer camp full of bullies and predators seems unwise, but it happens anyway. When her principal tormentors are killed one by one, it becomes clear that a psychopathic killer is on the loose.
Mindless but entertaining for more or less 87 of its 90 minutes, it all goes wrong when it suddenly blunders into highly dubious territory about gender, culminating in a tasteless twist ending accompanied by a genuinely disturbing final image.
Four sequels appeared between 1988 and 2002, but I won't be watching those, as they apparently lean even more heavily into the elements that derailed it in the first place.
Slasher movies are not necessarily my go to sub-genre, but I watched Teenage Sex & Death In Camp Miasma three times last week, so I thought I'd give it a go.







No comments:
Post a Comment