Wednesday 1 May 2024

RINGS FROM AN EMPTY ROOM


Last year, at Easter, I found myself alone in the house for a day. Before I set to my assigned task - decorating the spare room - I took advantage of the empty space to hold an impromptu recording session using some metal kitchenware, some wooden utensils, two desk lamps, and some old electronic devices.

I haven’t quite known what to do with the results, so I’m going to share some of them here. I know.


Secret Ceremony, which, I'm afraid, is ten minutes long, consists of me trying (and eventually succeeding) to get some nice sounding clangs out of a set of suspended steel bowls. The title references both the 1968 Joseph Losey film I re-watched the night before, and how it felt to be in an empty room in an empty house, banging stuff with a spoon and recording the reverberations.


Towards the end, it starts to rain, which was unplanned, but completes the ritual.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.