I very much enjoy Mexican wrestling movies, and I've watched a lot, but but they tend to suffer from pacing issues, repetition, and a lack of ambition. Take Santo & Blue Demon Versus The Monsters from 1970, for instance - the two most famous masked wrestlers in the world take on history's most incredible monsters: on paper it looks sensational; onscreen, however, the results are only occasionally interesting (Franquestain is very much a Mexican take on Mary Shelley's deathless monster - he has a droopy moustache).
That said, I find that these films are more of a mood than a genre, i.e. dull and daft as they can be, sometimes nothing else will do. Luckily, Santo made over 50 films, and Blue Demon 25 (including 10 together), so it's fairly easy to scratch that particular itch when it occurs, even if doing so never fully satisfies the urge.








No comments:
Post a Comment