Hijacking was a hot enough topic in the 1970s to warrant this 96 page black and white magazine, featuring a detailed history of air piracy, some scrappy cartoons, some ultra-grainy photographs - and about half a dozen adverts for male slimming devices like the Torso-Toner, the Body Taper-Slim Shirt and the Zip-Slim Control Brief. .
Charlton were never known for their quality, but they tried very hard indeed. I prefer their superb range of horror comics, with their silly stories and frequent misspellings, but I'm very fond of this magazine, not least because it's clearly been through some stuff (check out the various prices on the cover) and may very well be a weird one-off for the Connecticut based publisher - at least I've never seen anything else calling itself 'A Charlton AWARE publication'.
It ends with a paragraph that makes it clear that this is not some exploitative rubbish wonkily printed on low-end paper, but a public service document.


No comments:
Post a Comment